Warped aluminum table saw top / Verzogen tischkreissägenplatte aus Aluminium

theobas

ww-pappel
Hi!

I'm a Swedish hobby woodworker. I have used this forum a bit (using google translate) using your collective knowledge.

I have a question regarding a cast aluminum table saw top from the eighties that is warped. The middle of the top has become the highest point and descends from there down towards the edges, basicly creating a bow i all directions.

Does anyone have experience re-flattening such a table saw top? Do you think it would be possible?

In my head i was thinking i should be able to unscrew the top and, with the help of a completely straight plank or something, bang it straight again?

Or, should i just consider it ruined?

Thank you in advance and feel free to answer in german if you like (i can use google translate :emoji_slight_smile:)

Best regards

TB

werists

ww-robinie
Hi welcome!
I believe a image of the table would be helpful. How much (mm) is the difference between the highest and the lowest point?

theobas

ww-pappel
Hi,
Thank you both for the fast reply!

It's a significant difference. I will measure the exact distance in the mourning, but a couple of mm probably.

If a machinist take this on, wouldn't the remaning material be to thin?

Anhänge

• IMG-6418.jpg
    IMG-6418.jpg
    87,7 KB · Aufrufe: 82
  • IMG-6419.jpg
    IMG-6419.jpg
    101,5 KB · Aufrufe: 81

theobas

ww-pappel
Hi,
Thank you both for the fast reply!

It's a significant difference. I will measure the exact distance in the mourning, but a couple of mm probably.

Another thought i've had has been to buy a used cast iron table saw top and replace the one i have.

Something like this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/3346555519...rentrq:e22441b618a0ad98cdcc0c0bffff3784|iid:1

Any thoughts on where to find something similar in europe?

werists

ww-robinie
Unfortunately, I believe yes. The difference is to much as I see on the pictures.
I never seen a table saw top as used spare part.
Perhaps you can get a table saw of the same type with an other damage and make one out of two.
Or sell this to somebody who use it for cutting firewood.

theobas

ww-pappel
Thank you for the answers. I was afraid of that. It's a shame.

What do you think about the idea of unscrewing the top and make some sort of "pressing jig" and trying to press it straight?

werists

ww-robinie
Thank you for the answers. I was afraid of that. It's a shame.

What do you think about the idea of unscrewing the top and make some sort of "pressing jig" and trying to press it straight?
You can try. I have not much experience to work with metal but I believe it depends on the profile if that help or not.
If you find somebody with such a press for metal, they should also know what cam be done. Good luck.

raziausdud

ww-robinie
At first: thanks. I had - after many, many years of not using - to remember what I had learned at school. But I had to search for some words. I hope my English writing is understandable.

My opinion: If something or someone did this misforming, I think something or someone could reform it.

At First, I would try myself. But I think, another straight plate is not helpful, because there is a little elasticity. Probably you have to overform it a little bit to the other side.

I would separate the plate, press the straight part to the edge of another plate, so that the crooked part stands over the edge. Then with the help of a second plate try to increase pressure step by step until there is an effect. Preferable with the help of screw clamps or something similar.

My neighbour who is a professional metal-worker did a similar work for me, I think he called it (here I only have the german word „Richtbank“ (straightening bank …?). He explained it to me at that time, so I could write the things here above.

Rainer

Zuletzt bearbeitet:

netsupervisor

Gäste
Hi.
This is a job for the hydraulic press. Cast aluminium is easy to bend, with carefully pressing the table to flatness and a little bit more bend to a minus height level because of the spring effect. But first: is it mounted correctly? Looks like if the screw adjustment went out of factory level.
Sure, that is IMHO not a good job for milling machine. There is a higher risk to mill the table down to thickness that isn't enough any more. The heat of the milling process is also a risk for loosing the flatness after finishin the machining process.

theobas

ww-pappel
Thank you for the input. I emailed a local sheet metal worker and hope for a response soon. Maybe he can give me some more input or do the actual job for a deasent amount.

Will update you all if i have any success!

theobas

ww-pappel
So far i haven't had any luck with a metal worker. Hopefully someone will get back to me.

Another option would be to buy a replacement one from a broken machine as suggested here.

The model is Metabo 1685. Any thoughts on where i could find a replacement top?

theobas

ww-pappel
Hi,
I finally have had some luck and will see a local metal worker this week to check if he can fix the table top.

My main issue now is to detach the table top from the saw as smooth as possible. I ran in to some problems and posted another thread here on the forum regarding that.

Best regards
Theo from Sweden

Oben Unten